Friday, January 27, 2012

Day 6 - Tour De Bali

Forget the Tour Down Under today Claire and I did the Tour De Bali. Our day started with breakfast over looking Mt Baturan and the crater lake. This is the first time I have ever been cold in Bali, the wind was very cold. After a Balinese breakfast the weather had warmed up. The clouds had cleared the mountain and the sun could shine through.

We have a variety of people on the ride, one couple form Canada, a couple from America, a couple from Melbourne and a girl from Sweden, all a great bunch of people. After breakfast we headed to a coffee plantation where we again sampled the different selection of coffees. This time a didn't have the Luwak Coffee instead I had the male coffee. This is more bitter than the traditional female coffee we usually drink. Yes coffee has a gender something I learned on this trip.



Next we are off on our mountain bikes traveling downhill on minor back roads experiencing the Balinese life. We stop at a cemetery and our guide explains the ritual to us. Nest we visit a Balinese compound and learn about the Balinese Life away for the tourist areas. We visit the village temple and the guide explains why each compound and village has a temple. We also visit the enormous Banyan tree thought to be about 500 years old. From here we are given the option of the downhill ride or the undulating ride, we took the undulating route. I was very happy when I could overtake people on the uphill climb, thank you RPM.

The ride was fantastic riding through lush paddy fields and plantations of a variety of crops. We are all very hot and sweaty after the 25km ride and the cold towels at the end where very welcome. We had a choice to end here or do the uphill ride back to the restaurant, we choose the van. I don't think I have every felt more disgusting, good thing we all were in the same state or the ride in the van would have been real bad. Three of the riders road uphill to the restaurant, they were dripping with sweat but good on them. An older retired couple from Canada did the uphill ride, I hope I am that fit when I am their age they are amazing. Must continue with RPM. Lunch was amazing, Claire didn't eat she was feeling a bit off. I think she was a bit dehydrated so I made her drink a bottle of water and sprite. The lunch included smoked duck and chicken which was so delicious, chicken satay, a very yummy tofu dish, gago gago, Balinese veg, noodles and rice. I am not a huge fan of duck but i could have eaten the whole dish it was so good. This was as advertised and one of my best meals in Bali.


We got back to the hotel and headed straight for the pool, this was the most welcome swim I have ever had. After about an hour we headed back for a shower before the complementary cocktail party with traditional Rindick performers by the pool. The pool had been transformed with candles surrounding it and candles lighting the pathway. There were floating candles and flowers in the pool and we had the company of a family of monkeys to entertain us. There where 2 baby monkeys which are the cutest thing you will ever see. I think we entertained the monkeys as much as they entertained us. We meet some very nice people and talked to a very nice couple from Melbourne who had some wonderful stories from some of there travels. After the cocktail party we headed back to the room to chill, Facebook and blog.


Tomorrow we might do the monkey forest and then head to to Ubud Market for last minute shopping. We are booked in for a body scrub and massage in the afternoon which I am really looking forward to. Today's tour with the Bali Eco Cycling Company is one of the best tours I have ever done in Asia, it is up there with Motorcycling in Vietnam. If you every come to Bali you must do this tour. Thanks Jess for the recommendation. This is my 4th trip to Bali and I learnt more today about Bali than I ever have. Last day tomorrow before the 1.20am flight Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment